First I brought my 2'X4' ironing board down which I made on the painted batik tutorial and placed it on my folding table in my wet studio (a.k.a. kitchen)
Then I covered it with the heavy heavy poly film I use for monoprints maybe 6mil.
Then I cut open a trash bin bag and placed the fabric on it. I should have pre-soaked the fabric in soda ash and hung to dry but nooo, I'm in too much in a hurry so I'll need to add the soda ash to the print paste.
Next I use a brush to make a basket weave design on the white cotton
I set this aside on its bin bag to cool and dry in another room
This on I messed up a bit but whose judging - it's a demo! I also plan on re-waxing and over dyeing later in the week so lots of blank spaces for future batiking.
This is the pear batik that Laura did so I am copying her design all in a good cause.
I used print paste (see ProChemical website for product and directions) Since I rarely follow directions I won't confuse you but I mixed this print paste up and added DRY dye powder directly to the print paste. Use a mask since your lungs are like gold. I mixed mine too dark since I don't measure.
Now the fun begins. I dropped a glob (about 3 T) of thickened dye onto fabric and scrapped, not spread, but scrapped hard across fabric. I scrap up all the excess and put it back in the cup.I decided I wanted to dye the other side of this fabric another color so I turned it over when I'd finished this side and used the other color dye paste on the reverse. Laural did this so It wasn't an original idea. I never would have thought of it. The thickened dye is so thick, it doesn't penetrate to the other side.
green side down, naked back facing up then I did purple on the back.
It doesn't look like the front because of the way the wax penetrated the cloth. It looks even more interesting!!!
A piece of fabric with wax designs that I did with a tjanting then scrapped dye onto.
Now the neatest one of all. Laura did this design with the pears. Her signature designs are pears and dried poppy heads. Watch this....
First I applied purple to the "table"
Then olive to the top with interspersed drops of purple to break up the two tone monotony. I finished off with olive over the pear which was almost completely covered with wax. I meant to scrunch the wax on the pear to get crackling but I forgot.
First I covered each piece of fabric with the other half of the bin bag and rolled it into a tube. Then I folded each in fours.
I heated my trusty rice bag for my neck in the microwave and placed on the four "packages" of dyed fabric for one hour.
I washed the dye out of the fabric after an hour with hot water to melt the small amount of wax
Then I popped them in the washer for a 30 minutes fast wash with HOT water , Synthrapol (Prosapol) and Shout brand Color Catchers - very important. Not only does it aid in preventing dye back as does the Syntrapol but you end up with a cool piece of color catcher in great colors. I always put 2 in each wash out.
Here are the washed and ironed pieces. I could make a quilt with fabric I created with 2 or three uniting colorways. I think this is so wonderful. Check out the 2 toned basket weave piece. That's two colorways for the price of one.
Later in the week I will do the shading Laura showed and quilt this pear. I will also take a picture of some of my dyed color catchers. They have amazing texture when put in the dryer.
I hope you are as blow away with these techniques as I was. This was a "must do" or is that "must copy" for me. Unfortunately the dyes were VERY darkly concentrated so if I were to do this again, I would start with less dye powder and add more if necessary. I was going for a chartreusey green but ended up with an olive because of my heavy handedness.
Please try this. It is TOO much fun especially the "picture" like the pear. Maybe buildings or a landscape...