30 November 2012

And the results are in

The deconstructed fabric and "experiments" are washed, dried, ironed and photographed in indirect light. Remember the screens were deconstructed in sets of 6 except the first screen and I tried to squeeze 9 out of it. The last 3 were very pale. The photographs below are either half sheets (4' X 4') or detail shots. The "experiemnts was on two add pieces of cloth, one about 12X45 and the other 36X45. Both are yellow

 half sheet
6 pulls
 half sheet color over previous deconstructed work
 half sheet
 one part of "experiment"
 detail with hand print (done on purpose)
 other piece of "experiment" 
 half sheet
 half sheet

28 November 2012

Breakdown printing and an experiment

I loved the piece I did with Judith. You know the one I couldn't remember making. Well, I thought I would do a few experiments along with the deconstructed screens. I love watching the dye breakdown  Please remember, these pictures are not finished pieces but WET pieces I just printed. There is still batching, washing and ironing so we all have to wait.

This is my 4' X 8' padded printing table with the ugly reddish flannel sheet on it. I also added a previously deconstructed sheet about 4' X 8' as a drop cloth then on top of that my pre-treated white cloth.
I mixed soda ash in the new 40 oz container of print paste in the blender and poured some into this empty Ivory squeeze bottle for easy application.
This is the first 6 images from the 1st screen. I finally learned how to cover all the white.
This was an extra 3 images I tried to get out of the screen - pale.
The next 6 images from screen #2. I'm not so sure I like the strip effect yet.
The next 6 images from the 3rd screen. I like the textural effect on this cloth
The next 6 images from screen #4
a detailed shot (#4)

a detail of the red and blue (#3) 
6 images of screen #5 which has a much better all over look.
6 images from screen #6
6 images from Screen #7.
Detail of screen #7. Guess I forgot to get a picture because I had 8 screens.
The second piece of 4' X 8' fabric for the last 2 screens. I tore off this white fabric because there was no sense staining it.
Flipping the wet fabric onto an opened bin bag.

Above is some fabric I made a year ago. Although it was better than what I used as a drop cloth, there was still a lot of white. I decided to experiment with it.
I poured dye on, and smeared it around with a credit card. It sounds simplistic but there were many considerations about what to add and how to even the color out. At first there were red, blue and yellow sections and I added until it looked more harmonious.
a detail
another detail
You can see the swipes with the credit card as I swiped over the edge and onto the white
Now we come to the last experiment. I used an unwashed silk screen and pulled yellow dye paste through the screen and onto the crumpled waxed paper. I used the dye covered waxed paper like a stamp.
The screen had blue dye paste on it so the yellow started to turn olive.
Then I poured trickles of dye paste on and smeared it around. This was UNTREATED fabric and I thought I had sprayed enough soda ask water on to it but it came out very pale. Oh well, I will add more on to this piece another time.
It looks great wet.

26 November 2012

Playdate with Marcella

Marcella and I got together to do a bit of batik. She had two scarves that were almost finished but needed one more layer of wax and color. We used Seta-Silk, Seta-Color, ProChemical Profab fabric paint but mostly we used Dye-Na-Flow. It is thin and highly pigmented so it thins well. I also have ProChemicals answer to Seta-Silk called Designer Colors. They are very inexpensive, about $7.99 for a 8 bottle set. They are small but do go a long way.

I had previously acid dyed (LWI) this scarf in bright fuchsia then used a round sponge to apply wax "dots". I then painted the entire thing in black paint. It was opaque paint but it came of rather transparent when dried.

This is the scarf Marcella added one last layer of wax and paint to. It is still wet and covered in wax.


Another close-up. I love how the paint got in the cracks in the wax

Marcella applying a last layer of paint to yet one more scarf. These had been started but were as yet unfinished - til today!!

A close- up of the dark scarf. Really lovely effects.

This was a first layer of an unsuccessful color. Actually is was great but when it dried it lightened too much.

It looked great wet but... I later did another layer of a bit darker paint and loved the result. It is like a muted chartreuse.

A close-up of Marcellas dark scarf. All those colors - yummy!!

The dot scarf. It looks like hot pink moons. The former black background turned into a blackish purple but actually looks quite good.

Flat on the ironing board.

This is one of two dark blue scarves. They are acid dyed and have the tiniest pin points of red here and there. One is a bit darker (this one I think) than the other.

Very successful batik

Flat on the ironing board. The tool was an antique potato masher Marcella gave me. One of my favs.

This is the lighter scarf. Both are really lovely and rich. All but the chartreuse scarf are Crepe de Chine. The green one is habotai.