16 January 2018

Surprise ending


I started out with the Horizon 3 pictured in the last post. I "tried on" several horizons and foreground and I ended up with an entirely new piece using none of the components from Horizon 3.





I tried the foreground two different way; horizontal and vertical. I liked them both but ended up choosing the horizontal. I have it on the backing and when the temperature goes above zero I will attempt to cut a new frame for it.




12 January 2018

What's next

December was a hectic month for many reasons none of which involved Christmas. The quilt for my sister was MIA in the mail for almost 3 weeks but it finally arrived. The puppies approve and my sister loves it.
I decided to start selling my book covers online and I started another blog which ate up quite a bit of time. I "recreated" the blog three times and I am now happy with it. You can see it here.

I have also been working on a new piece in the "Horizon" series. I dismantled a finished and framed piece (below) and have made major changes.



I think I will take a break from the book covers and work a bit on the new "Horizon". I am also going to Boston to meet a friend from the "Maine Event". We are going to IKEA and I am buying two small units to use as a storage base for my ironing table. More about that later

09 January 2018

The finished book covers



I managed to iron out the fabric bulges on these two.










05 January 2018

Book Cover Extravaganza


I really enjoyed working on the quilt and was not quite ready to put the Juki to bed so I put in a new needle and indulged in a book cover extravaganza. I went through fabric I made over the last 12 years and picked out some contenders. Some were fabric paint experiments but most were experiments of some kind. After the experiment I just put the pieces to bed so this was a great opportunity to give them another life.


This was the original pile of fabrics all ironed nicely. I added more and still have more book covers yet to make.


The cloth from the table where I set up screens to deconstruct


This was a stamping and colography experiment. The colograph was done with hot glue squiggles on a cardboard base


This was a paint and stamp experiment


Using up dye after a thickened dye session


This was bleach sprayed on Travertine tiles then black cotton placed on the bleachy tiles. I really like this one.


This was fabric that Nienke sent me years ago. It was beautiful and needed to be the "star of the show". These book covers were the perfect vehicle for showing off her dyeing techniques.


02 January 2018

The big finish


I did a pretty good job not duplicating too many quilt designs. I did use a lot of words I use to describe my sister like wonderful and amazing.










All quilted so now I need some bias tape for the binding.


Would you believe this is an indigo dye? Halogen lights are NOT good when taking photographs.



I ended up with over 25 YARDS of bias tape. I was a bit concerned that I might run out. Didn't happen.


Good color above.




Finished, in a box and in the mail winging its way to Indiana.

28 December 2017

Joining the halves


I left about 2" of batting extending beyond the edge of the fabric and backing.



I pinned three places on each square and stitched to two halves together



I trimmed a 1/4" from the batting so the edges would "kiss".


Pinned in place and slip stitching the backing closed.


The two unquilted halves from the front
Now on to quilting these 18 blocks. I am thinking up ideas for this. Next post it will be finished.


25 December 2017

Not quite 113


I have 113 6.5" squares in this quilt. I am going to say I repeated less than 15 patterns over those 113 squares. It was a lot of fun trying to think up different patterns to do. I also did about 12 words and a few phrases. That helped with the count. Here are a few:










This last photo shows the rows that will be joined together. Remember, I made this quilt in two pieces for easy quilting. I quilted all the squares EXCEPT for the one row that will be sewn together with the one unquilted row from the other section.